Alan Wilder is the musical & production supervisor for the project, and the album has been mastered by Denis Blackham who was also responsible for mastering many of Talk Talk’s albums.
Says Alan: "My involvement began with a quote provided for the book and escalated quite quickly towards the music part of the project, to the point where over the last year I have become executive music producer, offering feedback and advice to many of the artists and to Toby, our project leader. I have also provided two tracks myself (as Recoil) with the help of 3 different vocalists and an array of supporting musicians. Toby and I didn’t always see eye to eye over all the contributions but I think we have ended up with a hugely impressive collection of heartfelt covers, submitted with genuine affection and respect for the Talk Talk legacy. It can be quite a daunting challenge attempting to do justice to some of the most inspirational music ever produced. One of my criteria when listening to all the covers was to try and place myself in the head of Mark Hollis and imagine if he would enjoy what he heard. I have no idea if he will of course, but for me this is a fitting tribute to a massively underrated group, made with few compromises over quality and commerciality. It is made out of love.
My personal favourites are by those artists such as Thomas Feiner/Fyfe Dangerfield/Robbie Wilson, Jack Northover, Joan As Police Woman, Nils Frahm/Peter Broderick & Zero 7 – all of which thought really carefully about how to re-interpret the originals in a completely fresh and exciting way. This is the approach I tried to take with my own submissions too. I am also a big fan of Lone Wolf’s haunting cover of ‘Wealth’ which features the brilliant voice of Paul Marshall.
All in all, given the parameters of any collection of more than 30 artists, I can safely say ‘Spirit Of Talk Talk’ is the best tribute album to any artist that I have ever heard and I am proud to have been a part of it."
Visit: www.fiercepanda.co.uk for more details.
The FB page is now live at: facebook.com/SpiritOfTalkTalk – designed to bring you regular updates and exciting news right up to release and beyond (we already know of a few surprises in the pipeline which we can’t reveal just yet). Please follow the link, click ‘like’ and ‘share’ with anyone & everyone who you think will be interested.
SPIRIT OF TALK TALK
01. WEALTH – Lone Wolf
02. THE COLOUR OF SPRING – Zero 7
03. I BELIEVE IN YOU – S.Carey
04. DUM DUM GIRL – Recoil (feat. Shara Worden)
05. LIFE’S WHAT YOU MAKE IT – Duncan Sheik
06. THE RAINBOW – Thomas Feiner, Fyfe Dangerfield, Robbie Wilson
07. AFTER THE FLOOD – Halloween, Alaska
08. IT’S GETTING LATE IN THE EVENING – Peter Broderick, Nils Frahm, Davide Rossi
09. GIVE IT UP – King Creosote
10. LIVING IN ANOTHER WORLD – Lights (feat. Darkstars)
11. THE RAINBOW – Zelienople
12. MYRRHMAN – Joan As Police Woman
13. RUNEII – The Last Dinosaur
14. ? – Jack Northover
01. IT’S MY LIFE – The TenFiveSixty
02. INHERITANCE – Recoil (feat. Linton Kwesi Johnson & Paul Marshall)
03. ASCENSION DAY – Turin Brakes
04. TODAY – White Belt Yellow Tag
05. I DON’T BELIEVE IN YOU – Ian Curnow (feat. Human)
06. CHAMELEON DAY – Goldheart Assembly
07. APRIL 5TH – Matthias Vogt Trio
08. NEW GRASS – Do Make Say Think
09. TOMORROW’S STARTED – Jason Lytle
10. GIVE IT UP – White Lies
11. TIME IT’S TIME – Lia Ices
12. THE PARTY’S OVER – The Lovetones
13. CANDY – Thomas White
14. RENÉE – The Black Ships (feat. Amelia Tucker)
15. TAPHEAD – The Acorn
16. I BELIEVE IN YOU – Richard Reed Parry
Additional bonus tracks available to download at digital stores:
01. ASCENSION DAY – Minerva Lions
02. IT’S MY LIFE – Mike Gill (feat. Robert Owens)
03. EDEN – Kurran & The Wolfnotes